Bullfrog

Well, I took one summer, down at ol’ Grandpappy’s.
Had a farm by a lake, we used to go fishin’.
Campin’ late at night, just under the stars,
I’d hear the wind and all the crickets chirpin’.

I was just a kid, used to living in the city,
Didn’t know about nature, but figured I’d learn.
Out one night with my window wide open,
I heard a strange noise that gave me quite a start.

Well I went down running to my grandpappy’s room.
Yelling and a screaming, “There’s a beast outside!”
Grandpappy rose right quicker than a bullet,
Grabbed his trusty shotgun right off of his shelf.

We ran out to that porch as quick as we could
Grandpappy stopped and we stood just a listenin’.
“There it is again!” I clung to his leg.
“I heard it again! Don’t you hear it down there?”

Grandpappy’s mouth started twichin’ kinda funny.
I looked up at him to see him start to grin.
His belly started shakin’ till he shook all over,
He was just a laughin’ and had me all confused.

“Grandpappy, why…why you laughin’ so hard?
Aren’t you gonna shoot that monster by the pond?”
He set that shotgun down and pointed in the dark,
“Why, son,” he said,” That’s just a bullfrog!”

Well, I’m growed up now, got a son of my own,
Took him out camping just a week or so ago.
We’s out one night, sitting down by the lake,
Billy’s eyes got wide, and he tugged at my shirt.

“Daddy!” he cried, “What’s that sound that I heard?”
“It sounds like a monster there over by the rocks!”
I just a started grinnin’ like my grandpappy would.
I took Billy by the hand to go get a closer look.

The sound came again, making Billy jump.
I laughed out loud, just shaking my head.
“Son,” I said, “There’s nothing to be scared of.”
“That noise you heard, it’s just a bullfrog!”

Now when you’re out at night, and you hear a strange noise,
Just remember Grandpappy and my little Billy.
Don’t get too scared, it won’t hurt you one bit,
They’re right cute critters if you get a hold of one.

They make a lot of noise, and they keep you up at night,
They make a big splash and they’re doggone quick.
But nevermind you, it’s nothing to be scared of,
‘Cause we all know now…it’s just a bullfrog!

No comments: